Scott Road Trading Ltd. has been a family-run business since 1959. With second generation management now at the helm, the company has grown to be a major player in the British Columbia recycling industry.
Scott Road Trading Ltd. had its beginnings as a second-hand store at the foot of Scott Road back in 1959. From there, it expanded into the auto wrecking business by the mid 1960's. By the late 60's it turned its full attention to the scrap metal part of the business. In the late 70's a nearby competitor (Felix Salvage & Exchange) on King George Highway fell into bankruptcy and was subsequently purchased. Scott Road Trading Ltd. moved to that location in 1978 and has been operating there ever since.
In 1992 Ernie Fleischer and Mark Kierszenblat became second generation owners of Scott Road Trading Ltd. In just 11 years they have taken the company to a new level of operation. In 1992 the company had only one crane, 2 small balers, a small 25' truck scale and half a dozen containers at industrial accounts. Annual input volumes at the yard were approximately 1,000 tons on non-ferrous scrap and 15,000 tons of ferrous.
Today, the company has 4 cranes in operation, a 70' electronic truck scale, a light gauge steel shredder, a large-capacity 2-ram baler and approximately 65 containers out with accounts. Annual volumes are now around 4,000 tons of non-ferrous and 40,000 tons of ferrous. The company has even expanded into buying recyclable cardboard (OCC).